Mercedes Benz Fashion Week is here again with the Fall 2014 collections! As a Chicagoan, we tend to LIVE for the fall (but we can certainly do without winter). Fall allows us to ditch our shorts and tank tops and play dress up again. More importantly, runways full of fall clothes allows me to play Frame of Mind again.
Peter Som is an American designer that was born and raised in the Bay area. He earned his degree in art history from the Connecticut College before attending Parsons The New School For Design. What I love about him is that he has an interest in interior design! He has a collection of bedding and fine linens with Sferra and he collaborated with Surya Rugs in 2013.
In creating this design board, I imagined a laid-back, updated mid-century mod loft.
1) The bold colors and graphic chevron shapes in the Right Angles Pillow from Dot and Bo adds a lively pop to the room. Meanwhile, the warm Mongolian Fur Pillow in charcoal from Studio Ten23 offsets the brightness with a fuzzy juxtaposition.
2) Hello! Isn’t this DwellStudio Hans Leather Chair a perfect pull from Som’s buttery leather skirt? The supple leather in this mod chair is a true rip from the runway and fits in perfectly with the laid-back design plan.
3) The majority of my picks for this room include warm, monochromatic colors. The Red Clip Side Table is an additional pop of color, and yet it doesn’t overpower the room with it’s translucent texture and relatively moderate size.
5) I pulled from one of the colors in Som’s sweater and picked this Capel Walkover Step Rug in dusty blue from Zinc Door. The color may be rather reticent, but the patterns in the rug are very interesting.
6) In choosing another piece with an updated mid-century mod feel, I felt that this Metal Wood bookcase from West Elm was a good fit. The bones of the piece gives us a not-so-rough-industrial realness. I’m here for it.
7) Finally, I’ve chosen the Sapphire Chandelier from Zinc Door because it reminds me of a firecracker and Peter Som’s Fall 2014 collection cracks me up inside because I know this is the designer to watch and he is on FIRE!