I follow many artists on Instagram because its an easy way to follow them and to see what they are working on. One artist I follow is ALWAYS working on something and the output of work is constant.
Donald “Drawbertson” Robertson is the head of Creative Development for Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. He’s also one of the original founders of M.A.C. Cosmetics and was integral in creating it’s well-known VivaGlam campaign. He’s also a married father of five children and two dogs. Apparently he is known for rarely sleeping. I’m simply amazed at how he does it. Thus, his most recent gallery show, #highfunctioningADD at the Eric Firestone Gallery, was very much appropriately named.
His painting, Kermés, that features the Disney’s Muppets‘ Kermit the Frog carrying a Hermés bag always cracks me up. I was moved to create a room design inspired by his piece. I imagined an enclosed porch for this space.
1. What’s a porch without a swing? The swinging rattan chair from Serena and Lily will envelope your body in a warm embrace. That is essential.
2. What do you do on the front porch? You engage in soothing activities that require a certain peace and quietude such as drawing with fancy color pencils in a brass box. I love these pencils from Jayson Home.
3. Miss Piggy is no where to be seen, but her stand-in is a gold pig from CB2 who holds books AND will make sure that Kermit doesn’t get out of hand with a watchful eye. That’s a two-fer. Two for the price of one. Double whammy. Kermit didn’t see that one coming.
4. Rattan furniture can be rather hard and unyielding, so a few colorful throw pillows (also from CB2) can help create extra comfort.
5. Don’t want to swing? Relax in this stately Oscar chair from Cost Plus World Market. The gray compliments the base of the painting.
6. This rug is perfect for two reasons: 1) Just like an enclosed front porch, it functions indoors and outdoors and 2) Hello? Aren’t the colors in this rug a perfect pull from the painting? The Venice Beach Green Trellis Hand-Hooked Rug from Zinc Door is absolute perfection.
7. You cannot draw, read, or relax in a spacious, enclosed front porch without proper lighting. For soft lighting I love this Oly Studio Serena floor lamp because the base of the lamp reminds me of Kermit’s collar.
8.You may remember seeing this table before. It’s because I previously used it in another Frame of Mind piece inspired by Peter Som. The Red Clip side table from Zulily is a perfect dab of color that livens up the room.
I’m in love with this room. What do you think of it? (That’s just a rhetorical question because I know you love it too. C’moooooon! Phft!)